Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

Hello Dave, others,

Sorry to be late with my comments.

On 02/03/2021 13:15, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 3/1/2021 9:20 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
(1) Add a paragraph about emoji sequences (specifically, things that

This has been added to the end of Section 2:

Note:
    The "emoji" token looks simple. It isn't. Implementors are well-advised not to assume that emoji sequences are trivial to parse or validate. Among other concerns, an implementation of the Unicode Character Database is required. An emoji is more than a stand-in for a simple alternation of characters. Similarly, one emoji sequence is not interchangeable with, or equivalent to, another one, and comparisons require detailed understanding of the relevant Unicode mechanisms. Use of an existing Unicode implementation will typically prove extremely helpful, as will an understanding of the error modes that may arise from a chosen implementation.

I think this is a valuable addition. I was following the discussion for a long time, and wanted to point to the Unicode implementations already existing out there and the high probability that a mailer would use one of these, but Ned finally pointed this out ahead of me.

I'd probably move the "Use of an existing Unicode implementation ..." to the start of the paragraph, because we don't need to scare readers uselessly. It may also be helpful to point out that if somebody just implements base-emojis or any other smallish set of emoji, they don't have to go to great lengths in their implementation efforts.

I agree with whoever has mentioned it that "*octet* sequences" needs to be removed or replaced. I hope this has already happened.

I also agree that it's important to point out the fact that the same emoji can be interpreted in completely different ways in different cultures or even in the same culture or microculture. I was glad to see that there was some addition about this between -08 and -09, but I think it could (and SHOULD) be stronger. In particular, it should be pointed out that the same emoji can have completely contradictory meanings and offensive or obscene meanings in some cultures.

In terms of nits, I'm really unclear why section 4.1 (Example Message) is where it is. Also, the hyphen in "possibly-interesting" might be replaced by a space without loss of semantics.

Regards,    Martin.

d/