Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On 3/2/2021 4:16 PM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
Well, yes, but cultural sensitivity and the awareness for it in the case of images (in particular hand gestures) is quite a bit different from text.

First, it's very easy for humans to intuitively think that while people using different languages obviously would need different text, everybody should understand something like a "thumbs up".

Second, the chances for completely opposite or offensive meanings are significantly bigger in particular for hand gestures.

Third, this draft explicitly proposes hand gestures that have offensive meanings in some regions of the world, as opposed to just allowing such gestures as part of a general repertoire.

Two responses:

1. The choices in that set already have global use

2. If someone doesn't like the set, then they shouldn't use it. It is intentional that the set does not have normative status.

3. If you think there is a better set to use, please specify it and circulate it. There's nothing wrong with having additional sets defined and, in fact, I'd argue that the specification already encourages it.

Fourth, it has been reported quite recently that some applications actually change the display of some of their reactions, for exactly the reason brought up here. As far as I understand, the draft doesn't propose any such thing (which may be okay as such). This situation is akin to a security issue with a known remedy where a draft would just talk about it in vague terms.

Comparing a cultural affront to a security threat probably has some
appeal but in practical terms I fear it is not helpful.

In terms of nits, I'm really unclear why section 4.1 (Example Message) is where it is.

After the specification content and before the pro forma sections on Security and IANA.  Seemed a natural placement.

I was not asking about Section 4, for the placement of which you give good arguments above. I was specifically asking about Subsection 4.1. This is an example message showing *syntax*, unfathomably (at least to me) sandwiched between two (*) text pieces about *semantics* and usage.

(*) 1) the part of Section 4 that probably should be its own subsection before 4.1, and 2) Subsection 4.2.

Talking about display of a message is aided by have a concrete example to consider.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking