Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

On 2/24/21 10:05 AM, Fernando Gont wrote:

I'd ask that participants be aware that a number of us speak English as a second language. So, while at times we might be aware that for some there might be differences (at times subtle) in the meaning of such words, other times we're not simply aware about them, or may overlook them (since English is not our native language).

For instance, the word "coder" has no equivalent in Spanish (the equivalent would be "codificador", but you'd never use that for coder or programmer). So it shouldn't come as a surprise that a Spanish-speaking person uses "programmer" to refer to "coder", "software developer" or "programmer" (itself), or that somehow mixes up these words.

The same probably applies to other languages.

I guess following Postel's advice might be of use here.

Dave Oran once told me that I should be careful of using idioms where possible so as not to confuse people for whom English wasn't their first language. It's frankly amazing to me how many idioms a lot of non-English-as-first-language get. Heck, it can even be confusing between American English and UK English. I think the burden should be on native English speakers to be more plain and not too clever even though it's extremely tempting at times.

Mike