Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Il 24/02/2021 08:22 Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:

The culture of hands-on work needs to be more than a responsibility of the document authors. It is a culture that has to cut across the organization, from working group chairs to the IESG. Currently, there are disincentives to work on code as a document author.

I want people with hands-on experience in the leadership of an engineering organization. For me this is a form of diversity.

The question is whether you *only* (mostly) want coders in the leadership, or whether you *also* want coders in the leadership. This makes a lot of difference in evaluating your position.

Coming from my own IETF experience, which of course is just about a small subset of everything that is happening here, I'd say that the IETF has the opposite problem - the IETF does not seem to have a way, or even the desire, to acquire non-technical perspectives on what it is doing, so whenever a new protocol ends up prompting significant regulatory, business or social changes, they seem to come unexpectedly; the non-technical stakeholders that were not involved in the design phase get mad at the IETF, and the people at the IETF are surprised (sometimes even offended) by that reaction. And then you get a debate on whether code is law or not and whether the socio-economic implications of new technologies have to be considered by the technologists, which I thought we had closed forever at the turn of the century.

(But sorry, possibly this is not a discussion in topic for gendispatch - it is more for a new WG on diversity and inclusiveness ;-) )

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx