RE: Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Hi Carsten,

Just focusing on this aspect:

> What is really useful for a new technology to come in is someone who is rooted in the IETF, but also understands that new technology and helps the promoters of that technology to frame their proposal in a way that it makes sense in the IETF.  Somewhat different from a mentor.

I am wondering whether we are a bit naive about the guidance we can provide to newcomers. The bias among engineers is so huge. Look at the discussion this week where we have learned
* to use OAuth,
* not to go to the OAuth group because "ideas go there to die", and
* we have seen that many don't understand OAuth but are not afraid to share their view nevertheless.

Guess how many perspectives you will get when you ask about some other area of work (NAT, IoT security, etc.).

I have seen one IETF persons making one statement in a working group meeting in the morning and the completely opposite statement in another group in the afternoon.
You can almost expect that the positions change from one meeting to the next.  I am not going to mention examples and persons.

Ciao
Hannes