Re: Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Hi Fernando, Keith,
At 04:07 PM 22-02-2021, Fernando Gont wrote:
We have submitted a new I-D, entitled "Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF".

Thanks for submitting an I-D about the topic. Some of the issues in the draft were identified previously: http://r.elandsys.com/r/49289

Companies operating at the regional or local level do not see the ROI (Section 4). The problem is more complicated than that. The approach taken was to provide aid through fellowships. The organization which provided fellowships was not too happy about the IETF reviewing that. There was some past feedback for the "university problem". There was someone who explained the problem. I don't remember whether it was fixed.

There has been suggestions over the years to provide summaries of discussions instead of sticking to "read the archives".

The stance over the years was that attendance fees are to support the IETF. That could have been true in the past. The total meeting revenue in 2018 was USD 3,908,825 and the total meeting expenses was 3,089,369. I doubt that the IETF would be cover its expenses if it relied on meeting attendance to cover its expenses.

As a comment about IETF culture, I see people using it as a reference for other groups to follow. In my opinion, it might be viewed as offensive or against the social norms of the group.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy