Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 28/01/2021 04:10, Fernando Gont wrote:
On 28/1/21 00:48, Terry Manderson wrote:
I feel like that the IETF spends a lot of time posturing about what it
can, or can not do, to address diversity.

FWIW, I've askes the question of what kind of diversity (gender? race?
company? geographic? all of them? ) is expected, because the answers to
the problem (if any) probably depend a lot on which diversity axis you
want to address.

And probably also even who you'd ask the questions.

Fernando

The IETF does have a policy about company diversity, as I pointed out at the start of the thread, and, as I said then, I think that this is the crucial one. I believe it needs strengthening because the weaknesses in it represent a threat to the work of he IETF as being an International body.

Geography comes into it too, as, to me, a closely-related but not quite as important axis, the lack of which would again threaten the IETF.

If the IETF is not diverse along what might be termed the woke axes, then I do not see a threat there.

Tom Petch

Perhaps a pragmatic approach (since we are engineers) might be to
first survey the (apologies for the offence) the diverse and minority
participants and ask them what their barriers were to contributing to
the IETF and what their barriers, restrictions, or reluctance might be
to seeking an IETF leadership role.

The results of that might even form a problem statement.

Agreed.

Cheers,