Re: Old directions in social media.

On 1/6/21 9:56 AM, Wes Hardaker wrote:

But the younger generations are writing reports and documents only using
online collaborative editing, don't use email at all, and find they're
very productive under github issue trackers and slack etc.  I mentor a
fairly large high school software team.  They use no email (sticking to
slack and github) and have zero desire to start.  Because it's a skill
they don't have, they don't feel they need and thus its a skill they
actively don't want.  I've given them many mini-lectures that when they
get to a work place they'll likely be forced to use email.  But, even
many work environments are holding a multitude of their discussions over
some channel-based discussion platform instead.

I get the impression the reason that the younguns don't use email is the same reason they don't use facebook: it's uncool and for old people. The one thing email cajoles is some amount of contemplation since it's not really interactive, per se. Usenet style threading is sorely missed though.

Mike