Re: IETF 110 schedule update

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:13:13PM +0800, Loa Andersson wrote:
> Folks,
>
> On 27/12/2020 12:37, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 06:49:26PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
> >>
> >>      >> As previously announced, IETF 110 will be an online meeting [1]. IETF
> >>      >> 110 working sessions will take place 8-12 March, from 12:00 to 18:00 UTC
> >>      >> each day. This time block was chosen to schedule the meeting during the
> >>      >> normal meeting hours in Prague, the original meeting location, and to be
> >>      >> consistent with the intent of guidance in Section 2 of RFC 8719 related
> >>      >> to meeting rotation. IETF 107, 108, and 109 similarly started in the
> >>      >> early afternoon local time in the original meeting locations.
> >>
> >> Okay, each time we complain that starting time *ISN'T* the time that we would
> >> have started if we were local, I'm told that it is consistent with the
> >> previous decision.
> >>
> >> It is then noted that IETF107 was scheduled without a lot of thought.
> >> So we are being consistent with a random decision in my opinion.
> >
> > In some sense, yes ... but given that in person we can meet for 9+ hours,
> > and online we're lucky to be productive for 6 straight, it also seems
> > fairly arbitrary whether we start at the same time, or end at the same
> > time (or somewhere in between) that we would if meeting in person.
> >

> Kind of agree, but really why do we need to consider the local time, at
> least for some of the cities we are (virtually) going to have very few
> local participants.

I don't have the answer for you.  My understanding is that SHMOO is
chartered to consider topics such as this, but regrettably I personally
don't have time to spend thinking about it, given my other commitments.

> I will not do any meetings that is before 6am or after midnight. I think
> it would be better to try the 6 hours that is reasonably hard for the
> participants that get the hardest deal, maybe even find two alternate 6
> hour slots. But they need not have anything to do with the "local time".

It's your prerogative to place those hard limits, sure.  (109 was 9pm-3am
for me and I managed, but I am very fortunate in my home environment.)  But
my understanding is that for any 6-hour block you pick, "the participants
that get the hardest slot" will have that slow overlap with their
midnight-6am window, and it's far from obvious that we want to always give
the hardest slot to the same limited set of people.  Hence, having a WG to
consider it...

-Ben