Re: Documenting our legacies

Hiya,

On 28/12/2020 23:37, Michael Thomas wrote:

Mailing lists are definitely raw fodder, but like Usenet they are also drinking from a fire hose. The candidate I mentioned did a lot of the computerized analysis to figure out some of the questions she wanted to know the answer to because there was just so much data.

I agree that archiving theses related to the IETF and, more
broadly, the Internet would be good too.

But what I'm thinking is sort of orthogonal to that, more of the whys and what motivated people, how we contributed, and the reasons behind it.

Right, mine was a related but tangential point - those who
are writing those theses benefit if they can access the raw
archives in detail and to some extent in context. And I'm
concerned that github can't provide that.

As an example, I've known you for years but I don't have any idea how you came to being an IETF lifer. :)

Heh - maybe someday I'll reduce that to a mail-sized set of
words:-)

Cheers,
S.

Somebody through no fault of our own may end up curious what was going behind the scenes of the torrent of mailing list traffic.