Documenting our legacies

I recently wrote a blog post documenting, in part, my experiences with the internet protocols in the mid 1980's (we didn't have connectivity until around 1990), and am planning on doing the same for DKIM. For all of the day to day squabbling, it's easy to lose sight that the Internet is really a remarkable achievement. The way it was built was much more akin to the Quantum Mechanics than a single Einstein having a good year. I consider the Quantum Mechanics to be most remarkable set of people the world has ever seen, especially how they cooperated and built on each other. None of us is getting any younger, and our memories are getting worse. It would be a shame for history -- and there will be history written -- to lose everybody's experiences. If _When Wizards Stay Up Late_ is our only legacy, there isn't going to be much fodder for future historians to figure out how we built this remarkable thing.

What would be ideal, I think, is for IETF itself to host a repo of all of those stories so they aren't subject to the whim of the flavor of the day repository. I recently read a PhD dissertation on the Usenet group soc.motss where she scraped years of dejanews (which was an imperfect repo, but better than nothing at all), and think we'd be doing a disservice to all of those future dissertations trying to make sense of the how/what/why's of the Internet, and especially the early days, by losing that knowledge.

Mike

PS: if you're interested, you can read it here: https://rip-van-webble.blogspot.com/2020/12/how-to-build-laser-printer-from-nothing.html