Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-carpenter-eligibility-expand-08.txt> (Additional Criteria for Nominating Committee Eligibility) to Experimental RFC

On 19-Dec-20 02:44, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I have review the document and have some comments and questions.
>
> A) Section 4, Path 2:
> Path 2: Has been a Working Group Chair or Secretary within the 3 years prior
> to the day the call for nomcom volunteers is sent to the community.
>
> Am I correct that the datatracker database will be the data source used to
> asses this criteria? Should that be explicitly mentioned?

Yes, and yes.

> Secondly, I think I will show up in this data set when it is run this summer
> because I am currently listed as chair for TSVAREA, which is listed as group
> but isn't a WG. Has this source of faults been considered?

It isn't in the list of active WGs though, so I don't think it's
a problem. Robert Sparks can comment definitively.

> ) Section 4:
>
> Path 3: Has been a listed author or editor (on the front page) of at least 2
> IETF stream RFCs within the last 5 years prior to the day the call for
> nomcom volunteers is sent to the community. An Internet-Draft that has been
> approved by the IESG and is in the RFC Editor queue counts the same as a
> published RFC (with the relevant date being the date the draft was added to
> the RFC editor queue). So the 5 year timer extends back to the date 5 years
> before the date when the call for nomcom volunteers is sent to the
> community.
>
> As I unfortunately have managed to write a document for various reasons
> spent more than 5 years in Missref (C238). So if I interpret this correct,
> assuming C238 is published prior to the call for volunteers next year I will
> get approved for this, despite that the document are more than 5 years since
> they entered the RFC-editor queue. I don't think this needs to be addressed
> as it is a corner case and will affect very few. However, having a document
> stay in the RFC-editor queue for a long time makes this rule apply for very
> long time. I don't know how big the effect of this would be, but we have a
> large set of C238 authors that will if this rule is used for the future have
> their nomcom eligibility extend for another 5 years, even if they haven't
> been active and participating by the publication of C238.

True, and I'm in C325 (178 weeks and counting) so me too! But I agree
that it's a corner case.

> Otherwise it looks good.

Thanks
    Brian