Re: Finger to Historic

On 12/2/20 1:37 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

While we are at it, we should kill this off as well:

No objection from me.   I miss it, but the network has changed so much, in so many ways, since that protocol made any sense at all, that anything trying to replace it would need to start from a completely different set of assumptions.

No real objection to making Telnet historic either (though there are still a few devices that use it).   Most uses of telnet clients today are just used to connect a keyboard/display to a TCP connection, and omit the option processing etc.

Keith

p.s. RFC 2026 defines Historic as

   A specification that has been superseded by a more recent
   specification or is for any other reason considered to be obsolete

I wonder if there's a need to be able to say "this specification is not obsolete in the sense that it has been entirely superseded or there's no longer any valid  use for it, but today and for the foreseeable future this specification seems only appropriate for use in specific niches, and not for general purpose use on the public Internet".