Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

Michael Thomas <mat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Principles of Spam-abatement
>
> John Leslie writes:
>> Michael Thomas <mat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Ok, I'm dense. How do I meaningfully consent to
>>> somebody for which I have no a priori information
>>> about their consentworthiness?
>>
>> Much the same as you do with the telephone: some people just pick up,

   Case 1: consent is presumed until content is observed;

>> others check caller-ID, and let an answering machine take any calls
>> they don't recognize;

   Case 2: non-consent is presumed for unauthenticated senders;

>> still others hire a sectretary to screen their calls...

   Case 3: an external agent screens everything;

>>> I mean, I can blackhole them after the fact, but until I have some
>>> information to inform my consent, I'm not sure what this principle
>>> buys you.
>>
>> It doesn't necessarily buy you anything: it's a way to look at what
>> we're trying to engineer.
>
> Well, I don't understand because it sure seems to
> me that the principle requires omniscience in
> isolation...

   No more so than the three cases listed above (or others not listed).

> Or is this just a covert way of saying that we need an e-Yentl?

   I can't say whether Paul intended that: but I don't interpret the
principle to say any such thing.

> It would be a lot clearer if the intent is to say that third
> party introductions are a necessary possibility, that it come
> out and say that instead of leaving the possibility of oracles
> explicitly open.

   You're getting into implementation details -- definitely off-topic
for a list of principles.

   I'm still open (for a few hours) to suggestions for re-wording;
but I'm not going to accept any re-wording that changes a principle
into an implementation plan.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>