Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

Michael Thomas <mat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Leslie writes:
>> Paul Vixie <vixie@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> the principle i've always followed is that
>>> "all communications must be by mutual consent"
>>
>> Excellent principle, Paul. I'd like to put it at the head of the
>> list.
>
> Ok, I'm dense. How do I meaningfully consent to
> somebody for which I have no a priori information
> about their consentworthiness?

   Much the same as you do with the telephone: some people just pick up,
expecting to complain to the telephone company if it's an obscene call;
others check caller-ID, and let an answering machine take any calls
they don't recognize; still others hire a sectretary to screen their
calls...

> I mean, I can blackhole them after the fact, but until I have some
> information to inform my consent, I'm not sure what this principle
> buys you.

   It doesn't necessarily buy you anything: it's a way to look at what
we're trying to engineer.

   I take it to mean that we should look at the system in terms of
informing the consent, rather than rules to cover every case; and
specifically that we shouldn't be communicating back any information
except by consent of the recipient.

   (This is, after all, a _difficult_ problem -- some principles may
be in competition with others...)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>