Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

John Leslie writes:
 > Michael Thomas <mat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > John Leslie writes:

 > >> Excellent principle, Paul. I'd like to put it at the head of the
 > >> list.
 > >
 > > Ok, I'm dense. How do I meaningfully consent to
 > > somebody for which I have no a priori information
 > > about their consentworthiness?
 >
 >    Much the same as you do with the telephone: some people just pick up,
 > expecting to complain to the telephone company if it's an obscene call;
 > others check caller-ID, and let an answering machine take any calls
 > they don't recognize; still others hire a sectretary to screen their
 > calls...
 >
 > > I mean, I can blackhole them after the fact, but until I have some
 > > information to inform my consent, I'm not sure what this principle
 > > buys you.
 >
 >    It doesn't necessarily buy you anything: it's a way to look at what
 > we're trying to engineer.

Well, I don't understand because it sure seems to
me that the principle requires omniscience in
isolation which is, well, IRTF territory at the
very least. Or is this just a covert way of saying
that we need an e-Yentl?

Note that I'm not against e-Yentl per se. I just
question what this principle actually serves from
an engineering/design perspective. It would be a
lot clearer if the intent is to say that third
party introductions are a necessary possibility,
that it come out and say that instead of leaving
the possibility of oracles explicitly open.

		Mike