Re: Bootstrapping the internet (Re: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb, or Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service)

It reminds me when (late 80's) I first tried to install NCSA/Mosaic web server and browser from source code... *ALL* the documentation was written in weird .html files... (and this predates commercial Internet in Europe, the tarball was received over UUCP)... Took me a while to simply open them with emacs + writing some C code to remove those 'tags' ;-)

-éric
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jared Mauch <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, 30 November 2020 at 19:04
To: John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Bootstrapping the internet (Re: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb, or Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service)

    > On Nov 30, 2020, at 12:59 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >
    > If you use a batch tool like wget or curl to fetch the text version of
    > an RFC (or any other text file), and look at it in a text editor, it
    > works fine. For that matter, if you use a browser to download a file
    > using a right click and a 'Save Link As' option, that works too.
    >
    > Since web browsers are designed to display HTML we also provide HTML
    > versions of RFCs designed to render well in web browsers.  But you have
    > to pick the right version for the right purpose.

    One of the questions I always have is how do you re-bootstrap things assuming
    Something really bad happens.

    The shift to protocols that a user can’t speak over telnet/netcat really bug me
    in this regard.  Yes, I can openssl s_connect assuming I have that on my device
    and the TLS police haven’t turned them all off because they’re too weak for
    time(&now).

    This is why the discussion really bugs me more than anything else.

    - Jared