Re: Bootstrapping the internet (Re: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb, or Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM Jared Mauch <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2020, at 12:59 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> If you use a batch tool like wget or curl to fetch the text version of
> an RFC (or any other text file), and look at it in a text editor, it
> works fine. For that matter, if you use a browser to download a file
> using a right click and a 'Save Link As' option, that works too.
>
> Since web browsers are designed to display HTML we also provide HTML
> versions of RFCs designed to render well in web browsers.  But you have
> to pick the right version for the right purpose.

One of the questions I always have is how do you re-bootstrap things assuming
Something really bad happens.

The shift to protocols that a user can’t speak over telnet/netcat really bug me
in this regard.  Yes, I can openssl s_connect assuming I have that on my device
and the TLS police haven’t turned them all off because they’re too weak for
time(&now).

This is why the discussion really bugs me more than anything else.

- Jared

Wise words from a man whom no doubt has painted himself into a corner a time or two. :)

- Shep