Re: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb, or Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

One micro-addition to John's comment without disagreeing with
anything he said...

--On Monday, November 30, 2020 12:59 -0500 John Levine
<johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <5FC52B73.6050106@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>> As I just posted to Carsten, this was a major problem 35
>> years ago which  is why protocols like FTP are rich in
>> options to handle this.  I could  be 180 degrees wrong that
>> HTTP/HTML is making no changes and so giving  just what is on
>> the web site which is then no use to me and it is FTP  that
>> knows what I really want and is making corrections for me,
>> such as  inserting <CRLF> or <FF> where I need it
>
> In this case, you are indeed wrong. HTTP returns whatever it
> returns other than some options for compression and
> decompression that don't matter here. All of the display
> problems you are seeing are due to the inconsistent ways that
> browsers interpret the text files they fetch, which is not
> surprising since browsers are designed to display formatted
> HTML, not unformatted text. This tells us that web browsers
> are a poor tool to look at text files, not that anything is
> wrong about HTTP.

You are also a tad wrong about FTP.  If FTP is run using the
ASCII Type and "stream" mode (which are the required defaults)
and if no type of structure commands are issued, then a
conforming server will deliver an NVT text file (see the Telnet
protocol spec) using as line delimiters.  If the file is coming
from a system that uses CRLF, character counts, or record
delimiters internally, "raw" CR or LF should be transmitted
unchanged, but, if it uses some other line-delimiting
convention, the server it is required to turn that into CRLF.
Presumably if the local system using page delimiters other than
FF those would have them converted too.   But FTP won't do
pagination of an unpaginated file or introduce line endings into
a file that does not have them.

There is also a small, but unpleasant, elephant in that room.  I
have seen many FTP clients, most operating in a command-line
mode or with URLs, that will not allow the user to issue most
(or any) of FTP's large selection of commands.  For text files,
that should be ok because the defaults are supposed to be TYPE
ASCII, Stream mode, and File structure.  And, while I have never
taken the time to track down the details, either some of those
clients quietly request TYPE Image or some servers transmit
whatever they have as if Image files had been requested (I think
the latter).  That works much of the time, but can result, e.g.,
in LF-delimited lines in what should have been ASCII transfers.

And, looking back at the spec to refresh my memory, I
rediscovered a glitch I found and tried to get fixed years ago
but got nowhere.  Watch for a note on the subject.

   john