Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Am 30.11.2020 um 19:39 schrieb Keith Moore:
On 11/30/20 12:33 PM, tom petch wrote:

But I don't have the option.  From my browser (IE) I only have 'Save
as ...' and the 'Save' option is greyed out and this is the behaviour
I am used to when accessing RFC-Editor, data tracker, IETF etc and I
think that that is the case for most if not all web sites.  My
alternative is to select all, copy and paste into a word processor or
editor but it is not an approach I would commend.

When downloading a file via FTP, the client knows what the file name is
on the server, and it's often reasonable to save the file on the client
machine with the same name.

When downloading a file via HTTP, the URL might be anything at all, and
there's no reason an HTTP client should assume you want to use that
filename on your client.   So in practice an HTTP client should
generally expect you to specify the destination filename as default
behavior.

...but then it will usually (absent content-disposition) default to the
last path segmemt, which would be the right thing for the URLs we're
currently discussing.

Best regards, Julian