Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/17/20 6:11 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 05:58:34PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
On 11/17/20 5:47 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

Whether those dates are returned by http or ftp, they're going to be
trivially foreable
So are the dates in old email and usenet messages.  And yet, such dates are
routinely cited.
Note that I said that this would be combined with the **sworn**
testimony of the owner of said e-mail archive.
I assume you've also done some of this before.    As I understand it there are practical limits on the number of witnesses that can be called, some witnesses cannot be used because they've assisted other parties in the case, etc.   All I know is that I've had law firm clients ask for such dates and be willing to cite them.
(I don't claim to understand a court's or patent office's reasoning about
what makes a date valid or not valid - their logic is different than those
of engineers. )
Yes, which is why it's not particularly a good argument for preserving
FTP on IETF's servers.

As others have said, most of the arguments on this are pretty weak on
both the "pro" and "anti" side.

Well, I do have experience to draw from about this.   So I disagree.

Keith