Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/17/20 9:57 AM, Livingood, Jason wrote:
One reply inline below

On 11/17/20, 9:16 AM, "ietf on behalf of ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  I don't like FTP all that much, but if it's the only remaining access mechanism that doesn't call for crypto, I like losing it a whole lot less.
[JL] But our position on new protocols & deployers of IETF standards is that everything needs to be encrypted. So in light of this, why would we then except our own activities from this shift to pervasive encryption? As well, I do not understand the burden on the end user in terms of access with crypto - every browser supports it, every mobile device, etc. The decision to retire FTP seems like the easiest decision the IETF can make this year.

RSYNC is a great tool for maintaining a local document store. Running RSYNC over TLS is a bit of a challenge.  Will you provide this service?