Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 04:51:50PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 11/17/20 4:32 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
>

> > It could be tuned up a bit by asking the tools team to turn
> > "Last-Modified"/"If-Modified-Since" header handling on for
> > https://www.ietf.org/ (which would make the command above act
> > substantially more like rsync).
>
> Last-Modified (at least) should be regarded as absolutely essential.  Again,
> these dates are sometimes important for patent litigation purposes.
>
> (It would be worth keeping FTP for that reason alone if the HTTP server
> doesn't support Last-Modified)

Whether those dates are returned by http or ftp, they're going to be
trivially foreable, and I suspect that for the purposes of patent
litigation, things like the Internet Archive and other mechanisms such
as personal e-mail archives plus the sworn testimony from owner of
said e-mail archive.

					- Ted