Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 05:58:34PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 11/17/20 5:47 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>
> > Whether those dates are returned by http or ftp, they're going to be
> > trivially foreable
>
> So are the dates in old email and usenet messages.  And yet, such dates are
> routinely cited.

Note that I said that this would be combined with the **sworn**
testimony of the owner of said e-mail archive.

> (I don't claim to understand a court's or patent office's reasoning about
> what makes a date valid or not valid - their logic is different than those
> of engineers. )

Yes, which is why it's not particularly a good argument for preserving
FTP on IETF's servers.

As others have said, most of the arguments on this are pretty weak on
both the "pro" and "anti" side.

					- Ted