Re: Document diffs... Re: A sad farewell

On Nov 6, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 11:42 AM Joseph Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Nov 6, 2020, at 8:02 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My tool, RFCTool can accept input in Word, or Markdown or both. It is open source and runs on OSX, Linux and Windows.

Typing XML in Word is not really Word (E.g., references, anchors, tag data, etc.).

Why on earth did you assume that was what I was doing?

From the instructions on inserting anchors and references.

IMO, the point of a Word template is to have it be able to edit and print drafts as they would be seen by users AND to allow use of Word’s internal cross-reference capability.

Of course. I use an open source library that parses the Word document for me and returns a parse tree containing all the paragraph and line markup, cross references, etc. etc.

I do use a very small amount of pseudo-XML at the very start of a document because this is a more convenient means of expressing the IETF specific markup than breaking that all out into Word tags. I am also using xml tags for citations because we need those broken out into normative and informative and the Word citation manager isn't really fit for purpose.

And for cross-references, e.g., “See Section 12” or “See Figure 22”.

By the time you add it up, you’re taking a good chunk of why Word is useful and pushing it off to explicitly entered XML.

I can easily extend the converter so that instead of typing <norm="draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture"/> for a normative citation of that draft you would use a Word line style so that all you see is draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture, preferably in a different color.

That’s not a Word cross-reference. That’s a line style.

Joe