Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-suit-architecture-11.txt> (A Firmware Update Architecture for Internet of Things) to Informational RFC

Hi Brendan,

On 22-Oct-20 03:24, Brendan Moran wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I have just published v14. It should address your comments as follows:
>
>> I don't understand from the architecture discussion how a firmware
>> consumer discovers the firmware server, especially in the unmanaged
>> (no status tracker) case. It can't be preconfigured, in case the
>> firmware server changes for some reason.
>
> This can be done either using per-configured hosts, or using a discovery mechanism such as DNS-SD:
>> Devices also require a mechanism to
>>    discover the status tracker(s) and/or firmware servers, for example
>>    using pre-configured hostnames or [RFC6763] DNS-SD.

Thanks. As I mentioned, this is also a problem we could easily solve with the ANIMA mechanisms too, in a fully autonomic network.

> And, for the second comment
>
>>> Installing trust anchors to
>>> devices via the Trust Provisioning Authority happens in an out-of-
>>> band fashion prior to the firmware update process.
>>
>> What happens when the firmware originator goes out of business
>> and somebody else takes over support, or for any other reason
>> the trust anchors become obsolete?
>

> This is addressed (perhaps somewhat indirectly) in the list of areas that fall outside the IETF’s efforts, but do require consideration:
>>    *  Ensuring that firmware updates addressing critical flaws can be
>>       obtained even after a product is discontinued or a vendor goes out
>>       of business.
>
> Fundamentally, this requirement must be enabled by the trust provisioning authority. They must be responsible for ensuring continuity of service in the event that a firmware author becomes unresponsive to defects for any reason.

Yes, that covers it I think. For information only, ANIMA has a similar problem, discussed at https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-44.html#name-updating-or-extending-vouch

Thanks
    Brian