Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-suit-architecture-11.txt> (A Firmware Update Architecture for Internet of Things) to Informational RFC

Hi Brian,

I have just published v14. It should address your comments as follows:

> I don't understand from the architecture discussion how a firmware
> consumer discovers the firmware server, especially in the unmanaged
> (no status tracker) case. It can't be preconfigured, in case the
> firmware server changes for some reason.

This can be done either using per-configured hosts, or using a discovery mechanism such as DNS-SD:
> Devices also require a mechanism to
>    discover the status tracker(s) and/or firmware servers, for example
>    using pre-configured hostnames or [RFC6763] DNS-SD.

And, for the second comment

>> Installing trust anchors to
>> devices via the Trust Provisioning Authority happens in an out-of-
>> band fashion prior to the firmware update process.
>
> What happens when the firmware originator goes out of business
> and somebody else takes over support, or for any other reason
> the trust anchors become obsolete?

This is addressed (perhaps somewhat indirectly) in the list of areas that fall outside the IETF’s efforts, but do require consideration:
>    *  Ensuring that firmware updates addressing critical flaws can be
>       obtained even after a product is discontinued or a vendor goes out
>       of business.

Fundamentally, this requirement must be enabled by the trust provisioning authority. They must be responsible for ensuring continuity of service in the event that a firmware author becomes unresponsive to defects for any reason.

Best Regards,
Brendan