Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-suit-architecture-11.txt> (A Firmware Update Architecture for Internet of Things) to Informational RFC

Hi Brian,

For the distributed version I have focused on addressing comments raised by Bob first.

However, I have changed the definition of the status tracker and it is not an optional component anymore.

Here is the new definition:

   -  Status Tracker: The status tracker has a client and a server
      component and performs three tasks: 1) It communicates the
      availability of a new firmware version.  This information will
      flow from the server to the client.
      2) It conveys information about software and hardware
      characteristics of the device.  The information flow is from the
      client to the server.
      3) It can remotely trigger the firmware update process.  The
      information flow is from the server to the client.

You wrote: "But I still don't understand how the target device and the status tracker (or server) discover each other."

The discovery today works mostly by using pre-configured servers. However, dynamic discovery techniques have been proposed (e.g. in ANIMA and in FIDO).

I hope this makes sense.

Ciao
Hannes