Re: [Manycouches] multi-site meetings --- the nature of IETF 111 -- SFO

--On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 20:00 +0200 Eliot Lear
<lear=40cisco.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 22 Sep 2020, at 17:38, Paul Hoffman
>> <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Asking the WG chairs to decide which WG members might be the
>> most important is not a good way for the IETF to go. The fact
>> that many of the authors and regular list contributors for
>> the WG are in one region is irrelevant to the value of a
>> meeting.

> Yes, but let's not kid ourselves, either: if the key
> contributors don't show up it's going to be a pretty
> boring meeting, or worse, you end up with consensus decisions
> that get overturned in email.

Which, of course, is arguably why the "we make decisions on
email" principle came from, usually with the intent of we have
key discussions on email too.

Clearly a judgment call on the part of WG chairs.  The problem
is that while many (possibly even most) WG chairs will properly
balance the desires of those they believe are key contributors
with openness to different ideas and perspectives and
inclusiveness, especially of newcomers, we have enough
experience to know that some won't.    The latter cases may not
be malicious but merely a different judgment about who it is
important to not inconvenience, but it would still leave us with
situations I hope we can agree are undesirable.

Rotating times to shift the inconvenience around --and even
insisting that WGs that hold multiple interims rotate those
times-- is a terrible and unpleasant solution.  It is also
better than any of the plausible alternatives.

best,
   john