Re: Egypt as the next venue.

They are all nice places, but it is good to be focused about Egypt as once u do that, u can later find hidden information that could make a crisis before the start of the meeting, any missing information will cost a lot later.

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:59:17 AM
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ole Jacobsen <olejacobsen=40me.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; IETF Discussion <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Egypt as the next venue.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 8:43 PM Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The most relevant section of 8718 is the requirement to consider:

     Travel barriers to entry, including visa requirements, are likely
      to be such that an overwhelming majority of participants who wish
      to do so can attend.  The term "travel barriers" is to be read
      broadly by the IASA in the context of whether a successful meeting
      can be had.

However, I'd contest the notion that a US government warning would preclude an 'overwhelming majority of participants' -- not only would that imply that Americans always followed that advice and that Americans are an 'overwhelming majority', but it would also have the policy effect of giving control over IETF venue selection to the US State Department.

One point that I think quite significant that has not been mentioned so far is that Africa is the only inhabited continent that IETF hasn't been to yet. The main alternative to Egypt would likely be Johannesberg which means a ten or more hour flight for almost everyone attending.

Given that it is rather more likely than not the next in person IETF will be San Francisco, and there are previous bookings likely to roll over, it is pretty likely that the first available slot for an Egyptian IETF is going to be four years out. So I would not be too worried about the current state of US relations, that can improve pretty quickly.