Re: Egypt as the next venue.

The most relevant section of 8718 is the requirement to consider:

     Travel barriers to entry, including visa requirements, are likely
      to be such that an overwhelming majority of participants who wish
      to do so can attend.  The term "travel barriers" is to be read
      broadly by the IASA in the context of whether a successful meeting
      can be had.

However, I'd contest the notion that a US government warning would preclude an 'overwhelming majority of participants' -- not only would that imply that Americans always followed that advice and that Americans are an 'overwhelming majority', but it would also have the policy effect of giving control over IETF venue selection to the US State Department.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/