Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Hi Toerless,
At 10:13 AM 09-08-2020, Toerless Eckert wrote:
Who is "your" ? Anybody who learned (american ?) english before the age of 6 ?

Btw.: I disagree. Any choices beyond ubiquitously recognized reasonably
good american english is probably an IETF community choice, and not
one of a subset defined by upbringing.

Here are two sentences from a RFC:

  "For example, a poor person in a Third World country might keep the money
  in each mail message, regardless of whether it is spam".

  "Assuming cheap labor in a poor country can be obtained for about
   60 cents per hour, and assuming a Turing test of a 30-second duration,
   this is about 0.50 cents per test and thus 0.50 cents per message to
   send an IM spam."

The sentence is proper US English as it went through the publication process. Anyone discussing those sentences at that point in time would be rebuked. I took a look at the last-call mailing list. There isn't much activity there except for the sponsored reviews. I doubt that anyone would flag those sentences.

In reality, i think the policies and how to interpret them will simply be
 made by a combination of IETF leadership the minority that is able to
most cohesively voice their opinion. Aka: the usual IETF min/max way:
minimum effort by the people with privilege vs. maximum effort by
others to overturn those decisions.

I see it a bit differently. Sometimes, an opinion which might look convincing at first glance does not carry much weight if you (used in general terms) look at the facts. The policies are usually based on input from less than 1% of the "community". The breadth, in terms of participation, is quite narrow.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy