Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> On 9 Aug 2020, at 16:15, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In article <B5969C0B-EF25-40CF-BFB4-8E062C90CA24@xxxxxxxxx> you write:
>> I disagree with this approach.
>>
>> We should ask the RFC Series Editor to consult international experts on technical language and the editors of other major standards
>> such as IEEE, ETSI and ITU and report back to us with a recommendation.
>
> I have no idea where one might find international experts on technical
> language, if such people even exist.

We could ask the OED people if they can point us such experts. It is possible that some of the to University English departments could point us in the right direction.

We can and should consult with the editors of the other major SDOs.

Since we apparently have no RFC editor in the pipeline (a more serious problem in my view) we could appoint an interim editor to work on this problem.

> The IETF really needs to address this problem itself.

We have the world leading expertise in the design of Internet protocols, but expertise at such a level on the use of the English language and it’s societal implications is not something we can reasonably claim.

Stewart