RE: Appeal from Tim McSweeney regarding draft-mcsweeney-drop-scheme

--On Sunday, 19 July, 2020 21:52 -0700 Larry Masinter
<LMM@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Given the people lining up to claim their name
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xhtml
> #uri-schemes-1 is it possible to put a moratorium on
> provisional registrations?

Larry,

Two thoughts:

(1) This situation might be different and I don't pretend to
understand the tradeoffs that might apply, but I think that our
general experience in the past has been that, if we make
registration harder or impossible, people just squat and we end
up with name conflicts and difficulty in tracking them.

(2) I don't have time this morning to sort the list and do any
kind of statistics, but, as I scan down the list, it looks like
most of those provisional registrations come from one company
and its employees.  That is not the pattern one would expect
from a land rush on names, people trying to lock others out of
specific names, etc.   If the concern were really that there are
too many provisional registrations of names that are possibly
not being either retired or made permanent, a discussion with
Dave or Microsoft about what is going on might be more
productive, and would certainly be faster, than trying to change
registration procedures.

Looking at that list suggests that, at least for provisional
registrations, it would be really nice to have the registration
date, and any update dates, visible in the registry.  If we are
going to start making changes, I suggest that might be a good
idea for all temporary or provisional registrations, not just
for this purpose but for other registries as well.

    john