Re: List of volunteers for the 2020-2021 NomCom

An interesting list of issues that deserve wider discussion.

The use of company employment as a proxy for conflict of interest is dated, in part due to the very success of our technologies.

What is needed is a full declaration of the conflicts as part of the selection process.

I was going to say that this can be in confidence, but I am not so sure. If someone is not prepared to openly state their COIs, then how can one be sure who’s interest they are working towards when doing regular work?

The IETF’s claim is that we are an open transparent process, and that in my view requires declaring all conflicts of interest, especially when accepting a position of authority.

When applied to Nomcom, the right process is for the chair to examine the COIs and accept/reject accordingly, but to put that statement on record as part of the challenge process.

- Stewart