Re: List of volunteers for the 2020-2021 NomCom

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> People who contract with a company for more than 50% of their time
    >> spent doing IETF activities will be considered affiliated with that
    >> company.

    > then the above statement about honor and integrity would not have been part of the BCP.

I just don't understand the "IETF activities" part :-)

I'm employed by Big-Router-Company for 100% of my time, and
I spend 80% of the time writing code, and 20% of my time doing IETF work
(writing drafts..) then I think we'd all agree I work for Big-Router-Company, right?

If I'm contracted to Company1 to write code for 80% of my time,
and I'm contracted to Company2 to write drafts for 20% of my time,

I think we'd say I'm effectively Company1's body.
Whether Company1 has any other IETF people or not, is another question :-)
Doesn't matter that I write code.

The point is that I probably can't be told what to do as a nomcom person by
Company2.

I am neutral as to whether the NomCom should have any publically stated rule
or not.  I don't think I had a rule as NomCom chair, but I did ask when it
was unclear, and the 50% mark was important to

Yes, there are many ways to game this, but not in an honourable way.
(And I've already disclosed to the NomCom chair, btw)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-