Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Hi Toerless,
At 04:57 PM 12-06-2020, Toerless Eckert wrote:
We already have a not very transparent system of patronage via
options such as host, global host or whatever it is. Sure, its somewhere
deep in some ISOC/LLC/IETC/meeting-committe/... web-pages. I for once
would like to see a web page that lists all financial contributions.

If someone wants a contribution to be anonymous, then the name
of the contribution is hidden, but the contribution is shown.

Adding more options for patronage would IMHO rather increase
contributions on the lower end.

More transparency comes at the cost, but i think more transparency is
good for IETF.

Christian's example of operas and museums may be useful to get a general sense of how patronage works. I don't think that it is directly applicable to the IETF as charitable organizations don't usually fund standards development.

The LLC only received $70,000 in sponsorship for the first quarter of the year. After taking a look at the information which is published, I would say that it is likely that the IETF would run into financial difficulties.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy