Re: Change in IPR policies

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I am quite sure I have seen a clear announcement of a commitment
    > to make all WG and Plenary sessions available on YouTube.  If
    > everything that is distributed at the meeting is going to be
    > make available that way, I don't see any reason for this
    > prohibition unless it is intended to prevent private recordings
    > from "scooping" the "official" ones on YouTube.   But that risk

I agree completely.

Not only do I think that there is no significant risk of anyone revenue
dilution.  Nor do I think that the "scoop" is an issue.

It also prevents other parties from providing signicantly useful additional services.
Specifically: simultaneous translation.

The IETF hasn't decided that this is a priority for spending, but perhaps
some national government or institute might want to do this.  I think we
should encourage this.  I can even imagine an online course doing this
*without* translation, or a company getting into the same virtual "room" so
that they can chat about the IETF discussion, ask about clarification, etc.

And then there is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6uKrU_WqJ1R2HMTY3LIx5Q
Everyday Astronaut effectively is providing running commentary on NASA
and SpaceX (and Boeing and...) launches and events, as well sometimes
providing his own feed.  This remixing is really useful as it gives
a new perspective on things.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-