Re: PSA pt 1: for better videoconferencing at home on slow links

for some reason I am not getting any ietf mailing list mail. too many
useful links in the last one? :/

How bad is your dslreports test (send link privately if you like)

For openwrt: you need to install luci-app-sqm on openwrt for a gui and
the related kernel modules. You need to do a bit of testing.

opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl luci-app-sqm # I pull in the full ssl gui as well.

see configuration guide:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

as for autoconf, well, if ISPs shared their actual up/down rates and
encapsulations with their users with a standard message (there is one
appearing for pppoe), it would be a better world. Those ISPs
optimizing their networks dynamically should also be providing a
regular update to their users over a std api, IMHO.

There's been some really cool work recently on getting good graphs of
latency, loss, and marking, out of collectd and sch_cake:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-reporting/59960/28

--
Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht