Re: PSA pt 1: for better videoconferencing at home on slow links

On 4/25/20 10:37 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
for some reason I am not getting any ietf mailing list mail. too many
useful links in the last one? :/

How bad is your dslreports test (send link privately if you like)

With the previous router iirc, it got a D or an F. no clue about actual number. With the openwrt+bufferbloat fix it gets an A.

Maybe your pt 2 contained info on the ISP side of the problem, but it was pretty dense :) a) is it a problem (i can't imagine it not being one) and b) are they doing anything about it?

I've figured out that out here in the boonies that our provider -- The Volcano Telephone Company -- has a pedestal relatively close to us that terminates pots, ATM and backhauls the entire thing by fiber to the CO. A side thing I figured out is that they used leftover copper pairs for to power it which works great when battery backup is needed from the CO.

What that Implies is that there is a router or something akin to it that has packet buffering. I assume bufferbloat is L2/L3 agnostic so even my little green pedestal in the forest is possibly a source of bufferbloat.  Is there any way on my consumer end to check for that? Or does the DSLreport speed test already take that into account somehow? My provider actually has a speed test which terminates at the CO which is probably more accurate, but don't think it has the specific bufferbloat test. It's on the fritz right now so i can't check.

For openwrt: you need to install luci-app-sqm on openwrt for a gui and
the related kernel modules. You need to do a bit of testing.

opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl luci-app-sqm # I pull in the full ssl gui as well.
Yes, that looks familiar. I was pretty surprised that it wasn't enabled by default.

Any reason why? I mean, is this in any way contentious?

Mike