Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

On 4/24/20 8:18 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 4/24/20 6:07 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Now being the dutiful engineer that I am, I decided to have an argument with myself and ask whether we both (STIR/SHAKEN and SIP-DKIM) are wrong. That is, is telephony as we know it essentially dying. The Covid pandemic has really put that into focus with services like Zoom in the limelight which as far as I know doesn't use SIP. Maybe none of them have an inter-provider problem like the PSTN does.

IMO the fragmentation of video call services is a disaster.   I certainly hope that single-provider solutions aren't the future of video calling.

Do the unwashed masses use anything that supports inter-provider like xmpp or sip for texting? As far as I can tell that ship sailed ages ago with facebook, whatsapp and all of the rest. Video is pretty hopeless because if it requires mixing, somebody has to pay for the mixing in the backend and there is about zero interest to set up inter-provider settlement. Unless this sort of thing is mandated by government, I can't imagine what would change that.

Mike