Musing on SIP and SPAM

Ok, into the fray. I've written a couple of blog posts on the subject which go into more detail of what I've been thinking. Basically, after much searching through the STIR/SHAKEN stuff I finally figured out that sip:mike@xxxxxxxx was out of scope. And I mean, it took me a *long* time figure that out reading problem statements, requirements, etc. What my blog post wonders about is whether STIR/SHAKEN is solving the wrong problem. That is, it's trying to solve the e.164 spoofing problem via tel: uri and sip: uri's with embedded telephone numbers. This is an incredibly complex and fraught problem, so i have to ask whether it's even worth it? Telephony is pretty much all SIP these days, even to mobile phones with SIPoLTE, there's not much point to stick with e.164 addresses as identifiers if it's SIP end to end or SIP end to almost the end with POTS termination. Since STIR/SHAKEN can't do much of anything with actual PSTN onramp/offramp based spam, it makes me wonder why we are holding onto mostly dead technology's vestiges. The future seems to me that a sip:mike@xxxxxxxx URI would be the future, but the did not solve for that. It's not like people *like* e.164 based identity, and mostly it's hidden from you on mobile phones anyway. Being one of the authors of DKIM (rfc 4871, etc) it has always occurred to me that something DKIM-like could work for SIP and actually hacked a version of my DKIM code to prove the point on a SIP stack in about 2005.

https://rip-van-webble.blogspot.com/2020/02/sip-what-about-from-header-no-love.html

Now being the dutiful engineer that I am, I decided to have an argument with myself and ask whether we both (STIR/SHAKEN and SIP-DKIM) are wrong. That is, is telephony as we know it essentially dying. The Covid pandemic has really put that into focus with services like Zoom in the limelight which as far as I know doesn't use SIP. Maybe none of them have an inter-provider problem like the PSTN does. So maybe the right solution is to do nothing, or do just the STIR/SHAKEN stuff because "Something Must Be Done".

https://rip-van-webble.blogspot.com/2020/04/on-second-thought-sip-security.html

Mike

PS: hi all, long time! missed y'all and hope you're keeping safe :)