Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

Michael Thomas wrote:

Telephony is pretty much all SIP these days, even to mobile phones with SIPoLTE, there's not much point to stick with e.164 addresses as identifiers if it's SIP end to end or SIP end to almost the end with POTS termination.

I abandoned SIP, when it was tried to be used for telephony, which
means already complex protocol will be even more complex trying
to be compatible with PSTN, even though it was obvious that
PSTN was dying.

The Covid pandemic has really put that into focus with services like Zoom in the limelight which as far as I know doesn't use SIP.

SIP was complex because it was designed assuming multicast
multiparty multimedia conferencing applications, available
at the time it was first developed, in mind and became even
more complex trying to be compatible with PSTN.

As Zoom does not need most of complications of SIP, should
need its own extensions and should work with http(s), it is
natural that totally new protocol is developed.

Designing a new protocol for your application is not very
difficult, unless you want to standardize it in IETF.

						Masataka Ohta