Re: PSA pt 1: for better videoconferencing at home on slow links

On 4/24/20 11:51 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
As y'all know, my principal concern regarding fixing bufferbloat
has mostly centered around making interactive traffic better, like dns,
voip, and videoconferencing, and not really on "making tcp go way fast".

Since yer all stuck at home now doing videoconferencing
every day, and I, at least, have seen terrible videoconference after
videoconference all month... particularly from those on LTE....

I would be curious to know who of the ietf contingent has done
things like check for bufferbloat on their home links and fix it?

I did both in response to a friend downloading a a multi-gig game on my home net and completely slagging the network. Hilarity ensued as I tried to figure out what was going on for about an hour. I haven't managed to actually reproduce exactly the way he did it, but from everything I've tried I've not been able to cause my connection to melt down like that again.

For this, I bought a new router and flashed it with openwrt. At first I didn't think it made any difference because I didn't realize that I needed actually enable it. Is there some reason it's not loaded and enabled by default?

Mike