Re: NATs are NOT Firewalls

Hackers first crack the exposed host. Then they see if it has multiple
interfaces. The local ARP cache will tell them the RFC1918 addresses if it
is a NAT.

The "NAT" just clusters several machines together in one machine.

Whether there are multiple machines behind a NAT is of little consequence.
Those machines that have exploitable ports available are still
exploitable. A good example is HTTP buffer overflows. A number of NATs
will happily forward the overflow attacks right through to the web server,
which is still exploited. SIP phones are similarly exploitable.

And how many NATs will forward external packets addressed to RFC1918 space
between both interfaces?  A lot used to. The limited access depended on
the assertion that RFC1918 packets couldn't be transmitted beyond the
external interface due to routing configuration. This assertion cannot be
guaranteed.  Change that routing, and there is frequently complete
transparancy.  But the fact that it doesn't usually work has caused many
people to make the false assumption that it can't ever work, and wrongly
conclude that NAT is an access control device when it isn't.

		--Dean