Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Valdis writes:

> That's one *TALL* order for a useful e-mail address.

Not really.  A great many people never use e-mail for anything except
exchanging messages with friends and relatives.

> That means that you can't join a mailing list for
> (say) cancer survivors, or for people with persian
> cats, or for your church, or for other immigrants
> from the same country as you... because then your
> address might be published.

Perhaps ... but most people never join mailing lists, so this is not a
problem for the bulk of the Internet community.

> Sort of limits the usefulness of e-mail.

Hardly.  Most people don't use mailing lists.

> That means that you can't use the Internet
> to buy things at a site that wants an e-mail
> address to send you things like shipping confirmations.

Why not?  Many companies will not publish or share your address.

> For that matter, even if you're NOT on a mailing
> list, and don't purchase things online, you have
> to worry that *NONE* of your correspondents use a
> certain worm-prone MUA ...

Spare me the angry-young-male syndrome.

The vast majority of people using Outlook Express (I assume that's the MUA
you're reluctant to name) are not infected by worms.

> ... if *they* get hit by a worm that finds your e-mail
> address ...

_If_ they get hit by a worm.  But they generally do not get hit by worms.

> Sort of limits the usefulness of e-mail to a
> ridiculous level.

Most people seem to get a lot out of e-mail despite spam.  Most people don't
receive that much spam, unless their addresses are widely disseminated
and/or published.

> So it's not safe to join a mailing list, it's not
> safe to use it for any e-commerce, and it's not safe
> to use it to communicate with the 85% of the
> people who use the problem MUA.

Only the first point is valid, and even that depends on the mailing list.
E-commerce is not generally a problem, with reputable merchants, and the
"problem MUA" is not a problem for the vast majority of its users.

Your hyperbole is unwarranted and casts doubt upon your credibility for
those who know better.