Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Eric writes:

> Have you never created e-mail addresses without
> ever making them public, and nevertheless note
> that you get SPAM anyway?

Not that I can recall.

> I did. I created more than one e-mail address
> without ever making them public, and though I
> note some of them receive SPAM!

Were the addresses along the lines of "postmaster," "info," or "webmaster,"
by chance?

> How do the spammers find such addresses? Do
> they automatically try all possible combinations
> of firstname_lastname@some-well-known-domains.com?

They must either harvest them or guess them.  For non-obvious e-mail
addresses that are never published, they cannot practically do either of
these, and so the addresses will not be spammed.

Most people I know who do not post to USENET or put their addresses on Web
sites or post to mailing lists receive very little spam, whereas I receive
several hundred spams a day on the addresses that I've publicly released
(but none on other addresses).