Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

In message <3ED5477D.5020004@cisco.com>, Eliot Lear writes:
>Tony Hain wrote:
>> The IETF needs to recognize that the ISPs don't really have a good
>> alternative, and work on providing one. If they have an alternative and
>> continue down the path, you are right there is not much the IETF can do.
>> At the same time, market forces will fix that when customers move to the
>> ISP that implements the alternative.
>
>This is very well said.  That first sentence could arguably be the credo
>of the IETF, only perhaps not limiting to ISPs.

Yes.  Normally, I'd worry a lot about backwards compatibility.  In this
case, I think the problems for ISPs -- and users -- are so severe that
people will switch *rapidly* to a new protocol if it solved most of the
spam problem.

My new concern is making sure that we get a *good* solution -- one that
preserves privacy and the end-to-end principle, as well as blocking
spam.