Re: spam

on 5/27/2003 12:21 PM Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I have an idea that is kind of odd, and I don't know if it would work.
> I really wouldn't mind signing up for a service that sends me filtered
> advertising, in domains that I find _specifically_ interesting.  I'd be
> happy to read about products and services that directly address my
> needs and interests, and if such a service existed, I'd be tempted to
> sign up.  So what if such services did exist on a widespread basis, and
> everyone signed up for them?  Would there still be a need for spam?

People would still want to tell everybody about their products. They would
even believe that if you aren't monitoring their specific domain, it's
only because you don't fully appreciate the benefits of their products.

To quote a bulk-mailer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/25/business/yourmoney/25SPAM.html?pagewanted=3