Re: spam

on 5/26/2003 2:20 PM Dean Anderson wrote:
> Social problems are not that simple. They are not solved by
> confrontation. Because there is no confrontation, there is no victory
> to be had.

I am advocating the establishment of a confrontation so that one can be
had. At the moment there is none, but that's not justification to avoid
ever having one.

> But a confrontation (physical or legal) without regard to rights and
> reason will only go badly for those who pursue it.

Of course they have rights. But some rights trump all others. In the US,
property rights trump commercial and free speech rights all the time.
Governments go directly against the first amendment with "post no bills"
all the time. Similarly, the first amendment doesn't give anybody the
right to put an ~abortion bumper sticker on my car without my permission.
The mere existence of some right does not grant the permanent exercise of
that right in all cases.

> Some anti-spammers might be happy to find a spammer in a back alley,
> and beat them.

Let's stick to the legal please.